Thursday, November 29, 2012

Who are you? Who am I?


I Am

We get asked this question so many times, when we have to introduce ourselves to people. Have you noticed, the answer changes depending upon the place, time, and people. You are someone for your family. If you have just joined a work place or are interviewing for a job, then you describe yourself as someone. When you meet someone at a social place, you describe yourself as someone. Your profile on Facebook describes someone. You are yet someone else on a social dating or matrimony site, and so on and so forth.

Now as situations in life change, we describe ourself based on our feelings, opinions, judgements at that moment. I am sad, happy, in love, energetic, dull, lethargic, creator, go getter, impatient, judgmental, etc.

Then as our roles change in life, we describe ourselves as yet someone else: I'm single, I'm dating, I'm in a relationship, I'm married, I'm separated, I'm a parent, I'm a grandparent, I'm old...

Are we our feelings? Are we our thoughts? our emotions? our actions? our inactions? our credentials? our age? the roles we play? our judgements? others judgements about us? Cannot be, since all these are transient.

This means we are not what we say or think we are, right? 'Coz that is changing all the time? and Truth is something that is unchangeable, unalterable.

On the other hand, one might think we are changing all the time. The truth is it's not our Self that is changing, but our thoughts, feelings, emotions, roles, that are changing. The Self is as is, and will remain as is.

The Self is our very nature. Our very nature is Love, Joy, Enthusiasm.

Whenever we move away from our very nature, we feel uncomfortable, we are either angry, sad, restless, anxious, until we return back to our very nature. So we need to drop all judgements about anyone. They are not their actions, thoughts, their words, opinions. They are You. They are Love.

And since Love is uncontainable, inexpressible in words, the answer to 'Who am I' is 'I Am', 'I simply Am'.

"Joy is love for what Is. Sorrow is love for what is not." - Sri Sri Ravi Shankar

"When Love glows, it is bliss.
When it flows, it is compassion.
When it blows, it is anger.
When it ferments, is is jealousy.
When it is all "no's", it is hatred.
When it acts, it is perfection.
When love knows, it is me." - Sri Sri Ravi Shankar



2 comments:

  1. This is an great post.... i want to write something comical about self..just to add some humour to knowledge.. I will take some inputs from your post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your such kind appreciation Varrun. Genuine Appreciation is one of the qualities of a Divine. You are Divine.

      Delete

Followers